Hollywood Lies is a murder mystery dinner party game for 16 to 32 guests plus one or two hosts – download the free introductory pdf file. It costs 30 GB pounds, which is about 40 US dollars or 35 Euros.
Join us in a thrilling evening of scheming, intrigue and skulduggery. You will be in the middle of the action and it will be up to you to wheel and deal with the other guests. Can you achieve your goals, keep your secrets hidden and survive Hollywood Lies? It's up to you.
"I just wanted to let you know how much we enjoy your games. This [Hollywood Lies] will be the third one we have run and they have been a great success. This year, we've actually had friends of friends calling to ask for an invite. Thanks for a fabulous product! "
It's award night and Tom Speed's latest film, Dazzled to Death, has just swept the board and garnered five Erics - for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay. Sadly, Tom Speed's award for Best Actor was accepted posthumously by his wife, Zara Vicars, as Tom was killed in a driving accident late last night.
Despite this note of sadness, celebrations are in full swing at the Dazzled to Death post-award party. Deals are being cut for future productions and everyone is having a good time enjoying the atmosphere and mingling with Hollywood's movers and shakers.
Is there anything suspicious about Tom Speed's death? Who will win next year's Erics? Find out at Hollywood Lies.
Hollywood Lies lasts for about four hours and is suited to an evening. It is often played over a meal – a finger buffet if possible to allow guests to circulate and talk in private.
"I just hosted Hollywood Lies for a group of teen homeschoolers this weekend. I have to say that they had a blast! Their "movies" were a hoot! This is the 3rd year in a row that we have used your games as sort of an ice breaker for the kids to get to know one another. As usual, it was a great success. Thanks again!"
Janice , North Carolina, United States
The free introductory pdf file contains an introduction to the game, a cast list of all the characters, an invitation to send to your guests – plus details of how to buy the game.
Important note: Hollywood Lies is an alternative version of one of our other games, Halloween Lies. The characters and the plots are the same, so if your guests have previously played Halloween Lies, they'll know the secrets of Hollywood Lies too! The difference is that Halloween Lies is written specifically for a Halloween party, while Hollywood Lies is suitable for any time of year.
These are the characters in Hollywood Lies:
- Anna d'Lessey – Award-winning director of Dazzled to Death.
- Bernie Newman – Movie star wannabe.
- Bobby Treveeno – Entertainer of the old school.
- Brian d'Lessey – Anna d'Lessey's husband.
- Charles Henderson-Plum – British actor, known for playing villains.
- CJ Vasquez – One of Dazzled to Death's co-producers.
- Crystal Beech – Award-winning star of Dazzled to Death.
- Detective Sandra Chase – One of Hollywood's finest detectives.
- Edison Flax – One of Hollywood's many agents.
- Ghana Moon – Award-winning screenwriter.
- Jack Simpson – Actor fired from Dazzled to Death before filming started.
- Jim Taylor – Actor and producer.
- Jules Milton – Manager of Spangles Hotel.
- Kara Montague: – Singer turned actress with a minor role in Dazzled to Death.
- Les Tytan – Mesmerist whose clients include Charles Henderson-Plum and Mel Cutter.
- Lou Dunlin – Respected Hollywood film director.
- Max McNab – Bit-part actor struggling to make the big time.
- Mel Cutter – Columnist for the Hollywood News.
- Pip Slater – One of Hollywood's many agents.
- Sam Cortinelli – One of Dazzled to Death's stunt doubles.
- Terry Ford – Character actor who played "Hatch", a bodyguard, in Dazzled to Death.
- Zara Vicars – Co-producer of Dazzled to Death and Tom Speed's widow.
- Cord Rankin – Cord is a tough-guy character actor who recently appeared in Davy Jones' Locker.
- Eden Delmonico – Eden is a rich heiress and actress. She recently appeared in Davy Jones' Locker.
- Hunter Sharp – Hunter is an independent film producer/director.
- Jam Lafayette – Owner of the Sacre Bleu! restaurant and TV personality.
- Lucinda Dawson – Lucinda is a former soap opera actress turned agent.
- Randy Manfred – Randy is a character actor who tends to plays dumb evil henchmen.
- RT Markovitz – Press photographer for The Big Cheese, a newspaper.
- Toy Shepherd – Toy is a comedian from the East Coast.
- Trixie Wells – Trixie owns a big corporation, TrixieCorp, but she's always wanted to make movies, so she's turned producer.
- Xavier Jones – Xavier is a composer who recently wrote the music for Anna d'Lessey's Bludgeoned on Broadway.
How Freeform Games Murder Mysteries Work
Hollywood Lies is unlike many murder mystery games. Although the game starts with a murder, most of the characters have more important things to do than to investigate it. And the killing may not be over – it is unlikely that everyone will survive the remainder of the evening!
Hollywood Lies is played just like a murder mystery game. You may be trying to solve the murder, but primarily you are (initially at least) concentrating on your own goals and objectives. Unlike most boxed murder mystery games, Hollywood Lies lets you decide how to achieve your goals and thwart your enemies.
"Everyone there said how much they'd enjoyed it -- we're veterans of your games, but this [Hollywood Lies] was definitely the best. There were quite a few people there who had never been to a MMP before and didn't know what to expect, but everyone had a great time. There was lots of variety in the plot and we all thought that the idea of producing scenes from films was inspired -- showing them was the highlight of the evening. Please congratulate the author!"
Janice Bruce, United Kingdom
On the evening of the game the guests are met by the organizer, the Master (or Mistress) of Ceremonies. They then receive their detailed backgrounds - including dark secrets, objectives and money. The players can form alliances, blackmail each other, steal items and even try to make the best movie for next year. Along the way they may solve some of Hollywood Lies's mysteries. Who is having an affair? What has happened to the photos of Crystal Beech? Which script will be made into a movie? And of course, how did Tom Speed die? Finally, the game concludes and everyone finds out how they did, and what secrets everyone else was concealing.
Buying Hollywood Lies
Hollywood Lies costs £25.00 (GB pounds). That works out at about 40 US dollars or 28 Euros, depending on the exchange rate charged by your credit card. (You can use the XE.com Personal Currency Assistant to check the amount.)
To purchase Hollywood Lies, follow these three steps.
Step 3: After you've entered your credit card details, you can download your game right away. Also, you'll be emailed the download link and password, in case you need to come back at a later point.
Cast Iron Money-Back Guarantee
Together with Freeform Games we're happy to offer you a no-quibble money-back guaranteed refund. If you're not completely satisfied with Hollywood Lies, just please let us know within 30 days and we will refund you.
And please remember that if you buy Hollywood Lies, you are buying it from Freeform Games LLP. Don't forget to read their terms of trade.